09-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #277
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
As close as you can (in focus, multiple angles) around the main beam area is a good start. Usually it's pretty obvious if there is a portion that can move in there, as it will be separated from the rest of the housing somehow.

TBH it's also possible that it is both mechanical and electrical/multi-chip-based; I'd only be able to know for sure by tearing into the whole assembly which is not likely to happen unless someone damages one and sends it to me. :P

Here's the thing about the F80/F82 LED setup (click through on the PDF so you can actually zoom and read it) - from there it appears to be a combo of mechanical movement and separate LED segments. Seems probable the 2er lights would be similar...

IMO the non-mechanical / fully electronic stuff is "the way of the future," no moving parts means less to break... but probably costs more. Pretty sure most of the Mercedes stuff is using 100% segmented / LED pixels and no motors anymore.

One major benefit I see to LEDs, regardless of the specific technology used - no more idiots putting Xenon bulbs into housings that weren't meant for them, and the stupid overly blue/purple light trend will slowly die out.

Now if only we could get people to stop turning on their fog lights when it isn't foggy... (No, it doesn't help you see better at night, unless you're trying to see through fog...)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 09-26-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0