Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite81 View Post
I have a 2013 528i with NBT that is 3G equipped and was recently told by BMW Genius that: "As of July 1, 2017, BMW will no longer be able to support the BMW Assist services in vehicles with CDMA-based (Code Division Multiple Access) cellular technology. Therefore, BMW Assist Safety and Convenience Services will no longer function in your vehicle at that time. BMW Assist discontinued its renewal notice activities for these vehicles as of August 10, 2015.

At this time, we regret to confirm that BMW is unable to offer a retrofit option to upgrade the hardware to newer hardware. We apologize that, as a result, your vehicle will be unable to receive the Safety and Convenience Services offered by BMW Assist and we sincerely appreciate your previously subscribing to these services.
"

I then called them to ask about the information recently posted in this forum, and they claimed no knowledge of it. I plan to keep calling periodically in hopes that that changes.
BMW Geniuses are woefully under informed about anything relating to BMW Assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
So I bought my CPO and BMW assist expired sometime shortly after (July 2016)

I saw one post mentioning the dealer not even giving the option to buy the retrofit.

Does anyone have any info on if we could purchase the retrofit and how much it would cost?
BMW hasn't published any of the technical documentation on the retrofit such as part numbers and the like. So there's no information as of yet.

However, even if you managed to swap the physical hardware, you'd still have to convince the BMW Assist people to activate the cellular modem and update their system with the IMEI for your vehicle. Which might be a difficult task.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50