01-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #50
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Disagree. On both counts.
The 1M was not more special than the E9x M3 because it had a standard turbo motor. It was very special because of its playful character, great handling, back to the basics approach. And it happened to be a limited run.

I disagree partially here. To some, the turbo motor was a massive differentiator and people welcomed the shorter chassis (for whatever reason) with a torquey motor.

While I'm super excited about the M2, I'm still waiting to see the final specs, including the price. I couldn't care less about standard features, don't want them. If you drive an F80, and then jump into the M235i, the size of the 2er felt so much more "right". It's so much more of a 1 to 1 replacement for my E36. That's not to say an F80 is off the menu for me.

I'll put it to you this way, I have a 1 series, had a 3... wish I could have a 3 again as it is a much better, much more stable chassis... the shorter chassis does nothing for the car other than make it more sloppy and squirrely. That very thing was said about the 1m. As far as weight, this is BMW... I wouldn't put any "weight on that".

P.S. I personally doubt that the car will start at 55k, but we'll see
Moral of the story, some preferred the 1M over the M3 for very good reasons... there is little reason to prefer the M2 over the M3 especially if pricing isn't far off. It would be a completely different discussion if it wasn't a motor that has been recycled 10 times now and the M3 wasn't vastly superior.