10-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #184
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I have wondered if this is more an issue of contrast versus actual "dim" lights. I've never had an issue with my 135, but all instruments are analog except the small digital display that is amber. Looking at the pictures of the M2 dash with the LCD displays under the speed and tach it has seemed like there will be times the display brightness outshines the "bulb" brightness.

I should (hopefully) see what it's like for myself in a month.
The LCD display doesn't detract from the speedo lighting or lack of as it's very dim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Definitely a contrast issue and not a backlight issue. All 8 of my owned BMWs have had white numbers on a black background. Very high contrast. The M2 has white/silver-ish numbers on a dark titanium background. Much lower contrast. Also, switching the headlights on manually and with it the back lights does not solve the problem.
It's both imo.If you take the fuel gauge as an example this is perfectly illuminated unlike the main display sections which can't be read in certain conditions and is uneasy on the eye at the best of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Is it possible to get inside the gauge cluster? It would be easy to create a PCB that could drive some LEDs to illuminate the cluster and have it's own ambient light sensor inside the cluster area.
It would certainly be easier to code the back light as it already exists.
Appreciate 0