Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
They can run the N55 until Sept 2019. All cars produced after must meet Euro 6C emissions (the standard goes into effect on 9/18 but you're allowed one year to get existing models into compliance). I don't think you'll see the B58 in this generation M2 considering this gen 2 series is done in 2020.
that's a good point but there are things that can be done to an engine to make it compliant so i wouldn't rule out the N55. It's a fantastic engine and with a new Turbo and intercooler - or even switching to a charge cooler- it would be perfect. It has had all the flaws ironed out since its been around for a while, so it would make sense to keep this N55 engine in use. The B58 is relatively new, and my experience with most things new is there is always a 1-2 year settling in period. However, all that said, i do feel it will be either the B58 or the S55, if i was a betting man i would say the S55 due to it being tried and tested on road and track - and at elevated HP levels.One last thing, i personally think the S55 is as close to the N54 as you can get, this in my eyes is one of the best engines ever.
Except no manufacturer will do that because it's not economical to tweak a 10 year old motor design to try and pass new emissions requirements for one year in one car model when you already have a replacement developed.

It would also make little sense to drop in a new motor for one model year only to have the entire platform replaced a year later. My guess is they will continue to run the cs, discontinue the standard after 2019 my (final production being early 2019), and roll out the gts limited as the going away party for this gen 2 series.
Appreciate 0