07-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #215
San79y
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
Hey San79y thanks for starting this thread. I am trying to resist the M2 given my 235 is barely 9 months old, but finding it hard. This thread has contained a few surprises. None of which have turned me off the M2, quite the reverse.

Like:
No front sensors. huh?
Fuel tank - yeah crazy small size, thought they might have addressed this in the M2.
Instrument lighting. Agreed.
The rev matching..... this for me is almost a deal breaker on a manual M2. The joy of hustling a manual car along quickly, and achieving perfect balance of engine transmission and chassis, in which perfect heel and toeing is essential. It removes one of the challenges of the exercise for me.

So now I am confused over manual or auto. I have driven manuals for years (including several race cars) until the 235. I have enjoyed the auto on the 235 (once I stopped grabbing for the centre stick) much more than expected.
Yeah not being able to get close to 300 miles on a tank is a joke. Even when not hammering it.

My best mate has had an auto 235i for a bit longer than you and I stuck him in the M2 a month ago to see what he thought. I was surprised at all the noises coming out of him as he is usually quite reserved! Once he could speak in sentences again, he couldn't believe it was based off the same engine he had, and was also blown away at the power delivery thanks to the DCT with its instant changes. I would say you cannot compare a normal auto to any dual clutch as they are light years apart. Modern autos are nice and smooth etc, however, they aren't a patch on the speed a dual clutch can go through the cogs. This helps the M2 distance itself from a 235i due to the relentless acceleration and constant power. It also helps you avoid most of the turbo lag. I love it, and although I wanted a DCT on my next car all along, the blipping throttle on the manual put me off too. It is no longer a true manual and I am sure that gets annoying when just trying to drive normally in town.
Appreciate 1