Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Doesnt have to; as a lot also has to do with the characteristic of the engine.
Take for instance the peugeot 306 GTI-6.
I dont think you ever got that on you continent, but it's basically a late 90's hot hatch with a 167hp engine and close ratio gearbox.
That car is an absolute feast to drive with that close ratio gearbox. Like having a little old fashioned ralleycar, its regarded as one of the best 90's hot hatches. But again, that engine benefits from the close ratios.

Something tells me that you have no first hand experience driving that car that fast. I know from first hand experience that the e92m3 goes faster than 168mph. My 380bhp z4 does 175mph, and an e92 m3 is faster at top speed (at the same stretch of flat road, same conditions, I think it'll do over 185mph)

But then again, the amount of gears is not all about top speed. Its also like I wrote about emissions, engine characteristics, mileage, longevigy and comfort. Those factors combined make up what gearbox and ratio's to use.
And of course weight and size. A 7 speed is considerably larger due to its construction, as it not only needs an extra gear (that goes for all gearboxes with more gears), but also an extra shift fork. That is also a reason that 7 speeds arent that common.
No, I have never gone over 270KPH in my M3.

I still think 6th gear could be a much better overdrive. And that 7 gears are not needed (unless you are driving a highway tractor).

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0