View Single Post
      02-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Hey guys, I am a long time BMW enthusiast and M3 owner. I have had them all up till the E92, and for the reasons why you guys love your M2 is why I want one instead of a chubby M4.

I have been researching the market and the forum and can use some advice/help.

For example, my local dealer has a blue 2016 CPO for 53k with 6k miles. That price makes no sense when compared to new.

If anyone has bought a used one lately and can share what you paid etc. that would be awesome.

Joey
I just went through the buying process. I was fine spending up to $60k, but I'm a budget / resale guy. So I wanted a base MG manual w sunroof.

Logic was the same for me. I can get a $57k MSRP car w $2k off for fleet so spending $55k. vs. $53k for a used 17. No brainer.

I ended up buying a 17 4k miles MG manual w MPE for $51,500. Why not get a new one?

1. There were only 2 18 MG manuals on dealer lots across the East U.S. And I had a trade. The dealer with the 18 MG was lowballing me on my trade.

2. Low inventory - you will see dealers with M2's listed for sale but they are not in the dealer. Its a "bait and switch" to get you to call them, so they can talk you into a future allocation.

If you can find an allocation and wait for delivery 2 months or so, you should be fine. I was in a position where I needed to get a car within weeks and not months. Then I was STUCK on MG manual so that meant buying a new 18 was no go.

White and blue seem to be most popular.

So my local dealer made me a sweet deal on a 17 MG manual MPE exec pack apple car play 4k miles, and a great price on my trade. So I jumped on it.

Again, if you can wait for an order there are allocations you can get. Its not so much the M2 is "super hot selling over MSRP" but the simple fact these are low production cars. When I called the smaller dealers, they think this car is gold as they might only get 1 or 2 allocations for an M2 the entire year. So there would not budge off MSRP and were giving me low trade offers.

If you want the 19 then probably need to call around to get on a list. I didnt want to deal with that, who knows when I could get an actual car - December?

Lastly for me, I went w the 17 since I get the car now. If I'm blown away by the 19 then I should get a decent trade for minimal loss then make the move.

But your assessment is correct and spot on. Buying brand new is the best bet, but you have to get an actual car which can be very challenging.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0