I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
FLA/KAFAS DA+ camera is not the issue. It is the hardware components part of actual headlamps.

Optic Microshutters are imbedded in the Smart Glass Lens on the COB Arrays to selectively dim arrays (or portions of) since they're powered in series and PWM dimming causes very rapid and intense heat buildup. F3x LCI 3er don't have them at all for US cars.
Ahhh, so the headlight assemblies are entirely different part numbers for US vs. ROW cars. That's surprising to me, but I guess if the US lights are cheaper to produce, it makes sense.

I always figured the LEDs were separate individual segments that could be activated separately, rather than a single COB assembly using shutters. Fascinating!

So if you want the full adaptive VLD/Antidazzle lighting suite to work over here, you'd likely (not confirmed yet on F87 but seems likely given the F30x situation) have to import the entire headlight assembly from ROW...

Was it possible to enable the VLD/AD system on the old Xenon adaptive HIDs? Or were those lacking certain mechanical aspects needed to handle the job in the US?

It just seems odd to me that the build sheet has specific entries for "decoding" of these features when the hardware installed is actually physically incapable of doing it anyway. One would think that having the "wrong" hardware installed would be enough to prevent those features from working, and that there shouldn't be specific options to "decode" / disable as well. Unless the "decoding" is just a vestigial thing from the cars that are capable of doing the fancy light tricks (like the F80/82 with LEDs)?

Just trying to wrap my head around how BMW does things after living in the VW/Audi world for so long.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 10-05-2017 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0