08-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #23
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
What no one has mentioned in this thread (it has been mentioned in others) is that there is a lack of motivation for BMW to produce more M2s. They make way less on an M2 than they make on the other cars being produced in Liepzig. It is basically a halo car that they hope will lead to upsells and downsells.

Dealers on the other hand likely do just fine on their profit in the M2 supply chain. So of course they see excess demand as a huge profit potential if they can get more in. So they are saying all the right things to customers that want to hear it. In the meantime, they are playing the upsell and downsell game to keep potential buyers from walking elsewhere. If they feel they are losing BMW sales in general by the constraint, and those lost sales amount to more than the profit from the other Liepzig products, THEN we might see a shift.

Given the above, I am not hopeful of a ramp up, but will be patient (as I cannot find another car that ticks all my boxes like the M2). If the supply constraint continues, it will do nothing but help me when I get my car, by slowing depreciation
Well put

And let's not forget, the X2 is coming soon and will be made on the same production line, so we should expect the initial influx of those to offset some M2's, M240's, etc. off the line, hopefully without any major decreases in production.
Appreciate 0