08-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #42
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
That is your mistake...

The M2 isn't competing with the 235.. it is competing against the Vette, Audi, Porsche, Mustang, etc..

Secondly, BMW has lost a great deal of enthusiasts & supporters with the lack-luster ///marketing that's been going on (ie: M235i). The M2 has a chance to right-size BMW and call back to those BMW purists who want a real //M-Car.

Personally, the M2 will make, or brake BMW from an intellectual stand point, & if the M2 is not quintessential BMW, but instead just pseudo-marketing then many will run from the brand forever.... many have been waiting 5 years since the limited 1M.. some since the e46 M3..

Thirdly, a Carbon Fiber roof is not expensive.. it is just exotic. Don't confuse the two. The BMW M2 will be about weight... there is no better place to save weight, than at the highest point in the car... why would BMW pass this opportunity up, just because YOU feel it aint worth it..?

The M2 must come with CF roof (& panels), just so it looses enough weight to be drop back down to 1-series weights.... as the 2-series gained 180lbs. But understand, it isn't necessarily how much weight, but WHERE that weight is... weight on the roof is a big No No..

No CF roof, no consideration.. that's why we buy BMW M's.. for the tech & engineering.
i can't believe i'm commenting to a guy who can't even spell "loses" but....

i never said i didn't think it was worth it to have a CF roof etc. My point was that BMW's business analysts / product planners I speculate probably think it will sell regardless of if it has one or not and are I'd wager are just as likely if not more likely to omit the CF roof for price and marketing reasons.

We are on an enthusiast board. Do you realize how many non enthusiasts who have no idea what they are buying still buy M cars? Just because the enthusiast crowd would want the CF roof, doesn't mean it will have one because the business types will have to weigh its cost and the change in MSRP that it would add will affect overall sales.

BMW is a business as far as I know. I know there are some what I'd call not so business minded "purists" out there who seem to think otherwise. But that is the reality of it. An added thought too... if anything "purists" should celebrate BMW building more and more SUV for "regular people" so they can fund lower margin cars like the M2 (I woudl guess the M2 given its likely lower volume and different configuration will not make them a lot of money).
Appreciate 0