View Single Post
      08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #38
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i just dont think they will necessarily have it. like that m2 spyshot in the other thread, with the orange car has an exposed non CF roof and that seems sort of like a hint.

i would think, for a lot of people a $50k m2, with a tuned n55, some aluminum fenders, a wider track and sportier suspension , sportier seats, and LSD , and maybe DCT (i could really see them putting the m235i racing 8ZF with the more agressive shift map that that comes with instead too, to get the cost lower) and say some M style 19" rims would be enough for them to call it an M. i mean $50k is only $7k more than a 235i. given the LSD is $3k by itself, i just cant see them being able to build it for a price much less and properly segmented away from m3/m4 while adding all the good m3/m4 parts. if it ends up with every thing from the m4, and just a different engine, it would seem like that would probably put it close to $60k starting.

i'd guess they have people sittnig there trying to figure out, if we make one for $50k, without all the "really good stuff" we'll still get X # of buyers, and not steal from the m3/m4. vs if we make it $58-59k with CF roof, CF driveshaft , DCT, how many people will buy it, and how many will just not buy a m4.

That is your mistake...

The M2 isn't competing with the 235.. it is competing against the Vette, Audi, Porsche, Mustang, etc..

Secondly, BMW has lost a great deal of enthusiasts & supporters with the lack-luster ///marketing that's been going on (ie: M235i). The M2 has a chance to right-size BMW and call back to those BMW purists who want a real //M-Car.

Personally, the M2 will make, or brake BMW from an intellectual stand point, & if the M2 is not quintessential BMW, but instead just pseudo-marketing then many will run from the brand forever.... many have been waiting 5 years since the limited 1M.. some since the e46 M3..

Thirdly, a Carbon Fiber roof is not expensive.. it is just exotic. Don't confuse the two. The BMW M2 will be about weight... there is no better place to save weight, than at the highest point in the car... why would BMW pass this opportunity up, just because YOU feel it aint worth it..?

The M2 must come with CF roof (& panels), just so it looses enough weight to be drop back down to 1-series weights.... as the 2-series gained 180lbs. But understand, it isn't necessarily how much weight, but WHERE that weight is... weight on the roof is a big No No..

No CF roof, no consideration.. that's why we buy BMW M's.. for the tech & engineering.
Appreciate 0