04-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #26
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
There are all sorts of analogies; you assume that there is some group of geniuses sitting around a table who conceive of these things in a vacuum. No specific M car, all of which are relatively low production, can support the development costs of a purpose built M engine. There is an evolutionary path and these things are modified to meet a supposed need for a specific car.

It's beyond ridiculous to think that this group of geniuses made this wonderful S55 engine in a vacuum for a couple of M cars; no way is that even remotely financially feasible.

All of this M-Engine stuff is really a bunch of pretentious horseshit.
Ok maybe my analogy is over the top but i was just trying to exaggerate to make my point clearer and i definitely didn't want to subscribe to the m snobbery that is prevalent on the internet. The only reason that I'm still interested in bmw is because of what started with the n55 in the 135is. All of a sudden bmw had a fun car again ..engine be damned. However, with that said, i fully believe there is a substantial difference between an engine built from the ground up and an engine tweaked by the m division. It’s obvious M GmbH cannot be self sustaining but Just because they are financially backed by the sales of regular cars doesn't mean they are innovation backed by the engineering of regular cars. Sure it works from controlled internal combustion but from an engineering standpoint there are differences between a purpose built design and a design to engineer something to work for a different application. The latter will be full of work-arounds ..no way around it. The work arounds work so most people don't care but people who can appreciate engineering tech will appreciate the advantages the s55 brings.
Appreciate 0