View Single Post
      03-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #18
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
I'm not an oil expert my any means, but a lot of people that use higher weight oils in cars with DI equate higher weight with added sheer protection from fuel dilution.

That is NOT how it works. Viscosity can be effected by adding fuel dilution, but the biggest part of that equation is the additives that a particular manufacturer uses. Base synthetics (assuming you're running a true synthetic) are generally the same. Kind of like gasoline companies, the only differences are the additives and detergents that they use. Now, this isn't 100% the case, but is largely indicative of the market.

So, the point here is higher weight (viscosity at temp) =/= higher fuel sheer resistance.

Unless you're in an arctic environment, or driving in the desert in Abu Dhabi, don't change your viscosity.

Edit: especially the case with very tight bearing tolerances *coughBMWcough* like the S85, you will ensure that you have very little flow through channels and between bearings.
Yes, great way of explaining that! Now I believe there are various stocks based on quality, ester content and such but this boils it down perfectly. I'd like to find a list of bases different companies use or where they come from.
Appreciate 0