Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
I have had an issue for the past five weeks, where turning the steering wheel any direction makes a loud creaking noise from the front left shock tower. I originally thought it was the steering boot rubbing, or something of that nature, but we pinpointed to the coilover assembly.

Also, as time goes on, I am starting to experience a significant differential or transmission clunking sound when letting go of the throttle in traffic. My E46 m3 with SMG transmission used to sound like this, but I only have 6,000 miles on this M2.

Curious to hear if anyone else has these issues?
Yes on the clunk! But slightly different circumstances.

Don't know about the creak but my M2 (MY16 6spd MT) also has a slight clunk from the drive train. Had it since day 1. Sounds like it comes more from the rear than the tranny but I cant be sure.

tough to duplicate because of the rev match. Usually feel/hear it when I upshift slowly below 2K rpm. In other words in slower traffic. Haven't really noticed it coming off the throttle, more so when delaying the gear change, keep clutch depressed, so the rev match idle drops back down and the drivetrain "loads" when you reengage coming off the clutch.

Could be tranny or diff mount bushing? drive shaft play? That what it feels like to me. I have a similar clunk in my E36 M3.

Car hasn't made it to the 1200 service yet. Not sure how I will handle this at the service. I suspect they will beat on the car to get the clunk sound. Never happens when I am on the throttle. Most pronounced when driving the car like a Prius!

Since I am confirmed to get a new diff at some point I thought I would see if it persisted after the diff was replaced. That should rule out diff bushing and mount issues.

This is NOT the "sodacan" sound everyone is talking about. I have had that too!
Appreciate 0