Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
that's fine with me....these are all very nice cars. I'd like to meet the 'poor man' who can afford an M2.

many of us can afford an M3/M4 but prefer a smaller more engaging package. FWIW my backup plan is either an F80 M3 or buying out my 135is lease.

That is how everybody calls the 981. And for me the 981 is better than the 911. Just lacks the right engine (not that I need it or can handle the desired power). But that is what BMW will do with the M2 if it only get an N55. Honestly I see no purpose in it, same equipment/options as M235i, same engine, only different suspension and CF roof? Not enough for a true M car like the M3, M4, M5, M6, X5 M and X6 M are.
the 1M had a different steering rack, the rear setup from an M3, brake and suspension modifications amongst other things. To me it was definitely a true M car----no matter what the E9X M3 owners say.....the M2 seems like it will be carrying the spirit. For me that's more than enough to consider this a 'true' M car. There are budget concerns here as well. Nobody wants a $65k M2, hence they do the best they can to stay within limits. If using a tweaked version of a current engine is needed to do that then so be it, IMO.

as for the Cayman....I've driven a bunch of 911s and Caymans and there is nothing lacking in the Cayman.....it's every bit as good to drive as a 911. Anyone who still thinks the Cayman is a 'poor man's 911' either hasn't driven a Cayman, hasn't driven a 911, or is just too preoccupied with stereotypes. It has it's own personality just like the 1 and 2 series have their own.
Appreciate 0