Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
You went from an E46M to a 1 M and now you have a base 228i?
Lol....well that's a bit of an experiment I'm conducting

I went from an E36 M3 to a E46 M3 to the 1M. I work for a BMW dealer so I get to drive a new car for free but I picked a super base 228i to drive for a while so I could get a feel for the chassis that the M2 is going to be based on. The 2 Series' inherent balance is apparent even on the 228i which makes me very optimistic for the M2

I modded the hell out of my 1M but the one thing it really needed I could not buy for it...a longer wheelbase!

I drive all my cars with the electronic nannies disabled except in the rain. To me that's the only way to actually "feel" the car. The other way around you're just driving a software package.

The E46 M3 taught me to trust it. The 1M taught me the opposite. I'm hoping the M2 will be more like the former than the latter

" i drive my cars with DSC OFF except in the rain"

Good thing you went M2 and not F80 then.

It's amazing how some people forget that a good car starts with a good chassis. A 228 is a very fun car to drive, just like an E30 318is was a Hoot to drive. The 228 js the same chassis with a suspension and motor that are both not as exotic as the M2 but it's still a killer car.

But for the lack of a limited slip diff in the 228 as it comes stock, I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire 2 series make the 'C/D 10 best next year. The m235 could be replaced by the M2 or they could just recognize the whole lineup since two of the three models are definitely ten best worthy.

Did you look at the wheelbase specs of the M2?
I didn't notice a lot of change actually...

The 1M definitely requires full concentration to drive and the M2 clearly seems to have some of the 1Ms tail happiness, but also it does seem to be more forgiving. If that's the case, I could perhaps be persuaded, but then again, I would rather wait and see if there's a diet program for the M2 before I give up my icon....

The E30 M3 absolutely has been the best drivers M car yet. While not powerful, the handling is sublime. It's a car that will make you feel like a hero, all the time. The 1M does that and then reminds you, hey, sometimes I'm a bucking bronco, I'm still wild!

I've become moderately happy with the 3300 lbs of the 1M but still not happy about it.

If BMW makes an M2 CSL I will be driving it on weekends packing sack lunches and driving a ratty old Honda ( or BMW ) to work.
Appreciate 1