12-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #165
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
I believe cargurus shows how many days each car has been on market. It also shows when the price was reduced. Check it out, I think that is what you were referring to.

You are certainly not in a shortage of cool cars and can take it or leave it with the M2.

If I get one it would replace my garage queen/HPDE e46 M3, which I'm not always convinced is the smartest move. On one hand I'd like to get something new (car ADD) and on the other hand, I hate to give up the e46 M3, because it is cherry, dialed and sorted the way I want, holding its value, hydraulic steering, easier to work on, N/A engine and so forth. The disadvantages are that it isn't as usable for more "daily driving". Not that I would want to make my second car a DD, but I'd like to use it more often and with the e46 a e46 I am a bit reluctant to rack up the miles, as it is entering collectable status.
On a M2 I would not care so much racking up more miles. I probably would only keep it that long, only until I can get a 911.
The other alternative is just staying put for a few years and then get the Porsche.
I'll go over to cargurus, but when I've been there in the past they didn't seem to have the large volume of cars listed that I could find on other sites. I also don't trust their "conclusions" when they label cars as being a "good" or not so good deal. One other thing I noticed was that sellers would just take their cars off of Cargurus, then relist them slightly later and then they would show up as having just been listed, which was obviously being done so that it wouldn't look like a car had been there from the dawn of the last century.

If a Porsche is what you really seek, there are no shortage of used ones for sale, some at relatively attractive prices. You do have to worry about IMS problems in some models (roughly 1999 through 2007, non-turbos) but this isn't a huge mystery and there are fixes for a few thousand dollars. I did find dealing with Porsche sellers to be a bit complicated and unpleasant, but in the end it is do-able, and you can certainly get a nice used one for less than the cost of a new M2. Also, Porsches don't sell all that well in the winter, with the possible exception of some warm weather states, so if there is a time to buy one, it is now.