View Single Post
      04-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackm4 View Post
On not being close. At least from a track day point of view I disagree. To me it all boils down to track times at my local track. I've seen really fast drivers in well setup m4s do a 1:40 at Laguna (my local track). Comprable drivers in Gt3s do a 1:38ish. So they're very close and I personally enjoy the back and forth with my Porsche pals at the track.
I see what you’re saying - 2 seconds a lap is still quite a far ways off. I tend to find a lot of fault in trying to compare HPDEs because no one if there always going 10/10ths like a real race (no one is winning anything) and you have varied levels of car prep, drivers, tires, etc which make it almost laughable to even try to think direct comparisons can be made.

I’m taking driver skill, set ups, etc out of it. Each at their best, no difference in driver skill, they are not close track time wise.
For example, the current GT3 and M4 GTS have the same HP and very similar weight, yet on the Ring, the GT3 is about 20 seconds faster and even in short tracks like LS the GT3 is 5 sec after per lap. Not even worth comparing they are so far off. The delta are even bigger with a more basic M4.

Just for comparison here is a 2014 GT3 and M4 Zcp and you can see they are not even in the same realm of track times. A current model Carrera S in summer tires is faster than an M4 GTS despite being well down on power, torque, aero and of course tires.
Appreciate 0