View Single Post
      10-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #276
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voomar View Post
^^Exactly. I participated in a M-Track day last Friday at the Ridge in Shelton, WA. Shell and Michelin are sponsors of these events, so no surprise there was a big Michelin commercial plug by the BMW hosts at the beginning and end of the event.

I was able to catch up with the Michelin reps at the event and ask why some M2s ship with Contis. He commented it was a BMW supply chain management decision not to risk a production shut down due to a supplier shortage issue. M2s are considered "volume" cars relative to other M models, so there is need to have alternate suppliers.

FWIW: The Michelin PSS I sampled with on a M3 and M4 during the (dry) lapping session were very impressive. I'm used to running Yoko R compounds on my E36m3/4 for track duty, and the MPSS were very comparable driving at 7/10ths. Was not able to push the MPSS beyond the their adhesion limits during the sessions (BMW made us keep DSC on), but did check tire wear after each session..no chunking and very even-wear.

My M2 arrives in Seattle around October 8th...just hope it comes with the MPSS but will be (less) happy with Contis as well.
Who in the hell said the M2s are "volume" cars relative to other M models. I think they got something reversed. I think if you look at the numbers there are many more M4's or M3's made than M2's. And if that is not a true statement then why in the hell do we have to wait so long to get one made when I can get one of the other two instantly..... Maybe I fell and hit my head
Appreciate 0