11-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #134
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Agreed,there's no smoke without fire regarding the CS,same went for the rumours with the M2 and people who had deposits were given first refusal and those that hadn't were left nashing their teeth.

I'm sure the same will happen with the CS.I've got a deposit down and confirmed second on the list.I can pull out anytime for whatever reason before it goes to build,so no big deal.

There's no way I'd entertain putting a deposit down with a dealer who had already taken 4/5 allocation deposits though.That will almost certainly lead to disappointment.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to try to argue that this system wouldn't work with a normal production car (M2) - you can still get them if you want to wait, not a hardship. Its limited run allocations with the potential for flipping, backstabbing and disappointment where it falls into questionable territory with dealers being disingenuous as to who stands a chance at getting one. Try playing the Porsche GT game in the Uk and you'll know what i mean.

My view on it in this instance is:

If the sole purpose were to show serious intent to purchase, the $1k figure that getting bandied about seems a bit pathetic in relation to the expected value of the vehicle; making it refundable if you change your mind nullifies the whole point in showing commitment.

Even handing over a cash deposit is still an expression of interest (at the end of the day the car doesn’t even exist, although as you say, no smoke without fire....unless its a smoke machine). They have no obligation to sell and you have no obligation to buy. Any dealer wording the documentation otherwise would be foolish and i can’t see them confirming otherwise unless you are their No.1 customer. If the dealer can't supply the car, they would simply need to refund your money.

The “first in line” stance: you’re relying on them being honourable. Yes, you could take them to court if they sold the allocation to someone else, but there is always a chance you’d lose - and lose a lot. Which just wouldn’t be a tenable position if you walked away just disappointed and not at a financial loss.

Id love for people to get their allocations doing this if/when the car materialises, I'm just glass half empty on this approach from a consumer standpoint as i think it can be a set up for disappointment. That is all. Of course I'm sure the people doing this are fully aware of this potential and there is no big financial risk involved. Ive expressed my interest like many others, just without handing over any cash, at the dealership I've bought cars from. As to whether id be in a better position giving them money now i don't believe so. First world problems

TL;DR - I don’t agree with the practice in this instance
Appreciate 0