ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolegittwoquit View Post
Hi all,

I saw an earlier thread on this but wanted to see if there were any recent experiences.

I have a 2018 M2 I bought with 13k on it, it now has 23k, so still low miles. The car has many modifications, but isn't tuned currently... may have been n the past and I imagine it was driven hard. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. I've had the card for 1.5 years now.

Recently I drove the car for a bit longer than usual (I don't drive it very far that often). By the end of some highway driving and then stop-and-go waiting to exit an off ramp, the car developed pretty bad "judder" when engaging the clutch to first. No issues with second, etc. Only from a stop into first. This has never happened before under any driving conditions.

The next day, and since then (about a week now), when the car is cold there's no issue at all. Still, I have driven the car longer distances here and there and this issue never happened.

I read in some other posts speculation that heat soak could be impacting the flywheel, causing some warping that leads to rough clutch engagement. I also have no idea if the flywheel or clutch is not stock (so many other parts are after-market it's definitely possible, but I have no idea if that's a common mod for this car).

Has anyone else experienced this? Just curious, and while I will ask my mechanic, since this is new behavior, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this. Could this also just be the clutch "going"? I've never had that happen in a car before so unsure what that feels like (again, though, it's not just slipping/not engaging, it's fairly rough judder/stutter).

Any experience you have to share is appreciated, again, just curious. Thanks.
It's normal. I had 1st gear stuttering since 10k miles. Less when the car is cold. more pronounced after stop-and-go daily. At first, I thought it was clutch going out but I've been running 550whp for 6 months, clutch hooked perfectly 4th/5th full rev range WOT. I just need to hold the clutch more precisely and longer at the bite point in 1st gear. CDV deleted btw
Appreciate 0