05-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #159
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMoop View Post
When economy class passengers make eye contact with me on their way back to the cattle room.

I spend way too much time flying but I still enjoy it. I cross the pacific 20x per year.
Really?, that's like my favorite part. The only time economy passengers can make eye contact with you are when they're boarding the plane, so I look them in the eye, smile, and take another sip of my glass of orange juice.
(haven't ever tried to get a beer or scotch before take-off, plenty of time once you're in the air).

I fly cattle class for work, business class when I'm on holidays - so if I'm in business class I'm wearing a T-shirt, shorts & thongs (edit: that's flip flops if you're not Australian). I've been doing it for years, and honestly, the novelty has never worn off.

But my ultra-favourite part is when I'm flying at the front of the plane with my son. Who's now four.

That way I can give anyone who looks me in the eye a sympathetic "yeah, I know, flying's with kids is tough work, hey", while I'm settling my four-year-old down in business class next to me with an iPad & Bose headphones.

Honestly, the flights are booked with points. The iPad and headphones are mine, not his. ... but from the perspective of everybody getting on the plane, That's "fuck you money" wealthy.

While I'm on the topic, let me touch on "kids on planes". Kids in economy suck. It sucks for the kid and it sucks for everyone around them; but the same isn't true for kids in Business Class.

First, business-class travellers generally have all the mod cons to drown them out (free alcohol, noise cancelling headphones etc.). But more importantly - kids travelling in business class BEHAVE. They've got room to move around up the front if they're restless; and they're generally seasoned travelers, travelling with parents who've done this flying thing more than a couple of times before.

I've never seen a badly behaved kid in business class.

Honestly, I love flying. There are plenty of things that can annoy you at the airport and in the plane, but if you've done it enough you buy the tools and learn the tricks to minimize the annoyances.

The only thing I hate about flying is when I can't fit everything into carry-on and have to wait half an hour (or more) to get my luggage at the destination.

Protips:
  1. Good noise cancelling headphones
  2. Tablet stuffed with movies you haven't watched
  3. Stop for a beer every chance you get
  4. Have your shit together at security, and don't be afraid to cut in front of people who are holding the line up because they don't.
  5. Get access to a lounge if at all possible.
  6. Fly business if at all possible.
  7. Carry-on luggage ONLY
  8. Try to have someone pick you up from the destination airport so you don't have to drive (see point 3)
Appreciate 0