11-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
My M2 is approaching five years old. What are other owners experience on how long our stock BMW battery lasts?

I also heard that you may have to program the car to accept a new battery. Is this true?
Depending on how often you drive it and if you store it with a tender generally batteries last from 5-10 years. Mine is going on 6 years without issue, it can sit for multiple weeks without driving and still not show any low battery warnings. I believe the total capacity check said it was in the 78-80% range, so mine should be ok for another few years.

Yes you must program the car (this process is called battery registration) when you replace it with a new battery. This is because the car's IBS progressively charges the battery less and less as capacity decreases with age. So if you do not register the new battery the car will under charge it and that will cause the battery to degrade and lose its peak capacity even faster.
DanG10752.00
///M TOWN20287.00
blkonblk201.00
jefe2000775.00