02-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
A dsg tune does wonders as you can increase line pressure, decrease lock up time and adjust launch control thresholds. Also, as mentioned the dsg will hold more tq than the 6 speed will, I've gone tens on stock dsg clutches with just a tune. When I drive my sons dsg it is only driven in manual mode, so for me it's the norm. That said I do enjoy the pure manual more but I'm trying to convince my wife to go DSG with her next one.
To clarify, my post was about operation of the three transmissions in Drive and Sport Automatic Drive modes. As far as pure manual mode, the DSG in my former A3 and the DCT in my previous 135i and current Z4 is kind of a wash out. I think both are great. Largest difference being that the shifts change in the BMW with the push of a button. There wasn't one for my A3. The PDK performs excellently in those modes as well in the Cayman and 911's of various spec.

Quote:
I've said it many times before that the ZF8 is a far better transmission than the VW DSG. I don't have experience with the PDK, but the VW DSG in GTI is very droll. I drove a Mk6 GTI and the shifting even in manual mode isn't as instantaneous as I was led to believe. It was at best, similar to ZF8, but really rough - and not in a good way. Some automakers want to make the shifts more palpable to give you the illusion of 'mechanical' nature of shifting gears but this isn't like that. In low speeds (like stop and go traffic), when left in auto it is really jerky. The ZF8 on the other hand is silky smooth at any speed and shifts just as fast as DSG in manual mode.
I would agree that it's better, overall, than a DSG. It's too close to call for me vs. the DCT.

Quote:
Also, as mentioned the dsg will hold more tq than the 6 speed will, I've gone tens on stock dsg clutches with just a tune.
Now this is true. My A3 was K04 kitted and FBO. That DSG was STRONG.
Appreciate 0