View Single Post
      02-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

I've said it many times before that the ZF8 is a far better transmission than the VW DSG. I don't have experience with the PDK, but the VW DSG in GTI is very droll. I drove a Mk6 GTI and the shifting even in manual mode isn't as instantaneous as I was led to believe. It was at best, similar to ZF8, but really rough - and not in a good way. Some automakers want to make the shifts more palpable to give you the illusion of 'mechanical' nature of shifting gears but this isn't like that. In low speeds (like stop and go traffic), when left in auto it is really jerky. The ZF8 on the other hand is silky smooth at any speed and shifts just as fast as DSG in manual mode.

Also, just like OP I've found the GTI especially with the DSG very dull to drive. The manual is significantly better and it really comes alive, but nothing like a MINI (atleast the R53/R56 variants, probably not the current F56). I often see GTI compared to a MINI, but tbh the MINI competes more with the likes of Miata/BRZ. The GTI just feels like a go fast semi-luxury car.
Appreciate 0