FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Thanks for your response, appreciated

If I've read you correctly, you're saying that the best way to enjoy the DSG box is in manual mode. Surely you do that by exception rather than as your norm?
I have paddles for the ZF auto in my F31 which I use from time to time. Most of the time, however, I let the auto do what it does best, which is to change gear automatically, either in Comfort or Sport mode
If I had to use the paddles to get the auto box to function well most of the time, I wouldn't bother with it in the first place
Before I cross the Golf GTi off my list, I will test drove a manual but so far, it's been a disappointing experience

The DSG is definitely miles better in 'Manual' than left to it's own devices. In standard 'Drive', it upshifts way too early and is too reluctant to kick down. In 'Sport', which is still auto, it's way too aggressive. It holds gears too long, and is too aggressive. It's fine for hard back road driving, but nothing else. I still use 'Manual' in back road driving, though.

As for how often I use 'Manual', it's pretty much 99.9% of the time. I only use regular 'Drive' until it warms up some, or in open highway driving, which is very rare. I upshift using the paddles, and when coming to a stop, just let the car do the downshifting. That's what I find to be most effective. It still gives me the control and response I want, but saves me the frustration of dealing with a clutch in heavy traffic- I live in the city.

My car is also a Perf Pkg. I use the 'Individual' drive mode which you can tailor to your preference. My setup is 'Sport' on drivetrain and diff, and 'Normal' on steering and soundaktor- the stupid thing that amplifies engine noise inside the car. I find it to be about perfect. The steering is a bit lighter than I normally prefer, but in 'Sport' the steering is just artificially heavy. Though 'Sport' does do well for really, really aggressive driving in lots of turns.

Maybe an extended second drive and playing with some of the modes might change your opinion. Or maybe not. I do know the prices over there are higher than here in the States. Over here, there's pretty much nothing that stacks up for the money.
Appreciate 0