08-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #95
mwalkernt
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX 15 CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
I've been somewhat chronicling my M2 purchase in this thread that I started:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1281163

But it is more of discussion of DCT vs. 6MT. So I figured I'd go ahead and show my timeline here (in more detail than necessary, of course):

02/23/16 - I don't consider myself a huge "car guy" so I first read about the M2 on, of all places, The Verge. I slowly start researching it from there and become enamored with it. Maybe I'm more of car guy than I think.

06/13/16 - Stop by my local dealer to drop off the wife's X6 for service. While I'm there I talk to a BMW "Genius" and she tells me there are over 100 people on the wait list.

06/17/16 - Pick up wife's X6. They have their HEA M2 (already sold) on the floor. I spend an hour looking at it and sitting in it while talking to the sales manager. He tells me there are only 18 people on the wait list (the "genius" was not so smart) and tells me to email him if I want on the list. I go back to work and can't stop thinking about it...instead of email I drive back to the dealership and tell him I want on the list. He takes me to internet salesman and has me configure a M2, takes the printout from me and says "I'll take care of you."

06/30/16 - Get call from the internet salesman. He has an allocation for me and wants me to come in and put down a deposit. The big caveat, I have to get MPE with CF tips along with another CF accessory. All prices at MSRP. What am I to do? I say "yes" of course.

07/01/16 - I go to the dealership, place my order...LBB, DCT, exec, aforementioned accessories, Apple Car Play. Pretty much on a whim I go ahead and buy a 328i while I'm there along with a BMW bike. Hey, I needed a DD and some exercise!

07/04/16 - After spending the weekend torturing myself over the DCT decision, I call and change my order to 6MT. I also get my production number that day and am told I'm slotted for WK 36.

07/19/16 - Joined BMW CCA.

07/22/16 - After two more weeks of torturing myself over the DCT vs 6MT, my car finally shows up on My BMW, albeit as the wrong color (I'm told this happens with dealer allocations.)

Today - Still torturing myself over DCT vs 6MT but much less so.

Will update as things progress.
I'm torn between DCT and the 6MT too, I've driven a stick a few times before but I'll be moving to near the NYC area and am not sure if it would be wise to have it