View Single Post
      04-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
SUVs are nothing more then raised mini vans.
I have to disagree here.
Minivans have ridiculous amount of space, compared to sedans, or sedan-derived SUVs.

I'm speaking from experience: among other cars, I own an Odyssey for major road trips and Home Depot runs. I can fit a 4x8" drywall and particle boards into that monster. That's more than any pickup truck or super-sized SUV could handle!

As to SUVs - I don't get them either.
Never owned one, and don't see buying one any time soon either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
I would love an M3 Wagon......
I believe you, but there are just far too few of you in the US.

US premium wagon market has declined to sub 20K units/year.
Last year (2016), BMW NA sold 3,340 wagons in the US, so BMW holds ~15% of the very crowded luxury wagon market.

///M-cars sell at an average of 5% of the corresponding vehicle model.
So, BMW is forgoing an opportunity to maybe sell 167 ///M-wagons. That's not a market opportunity.
That's a money hole.

More data here:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...l-climb-in-u.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
A wagon offers all the benefits of space needed but also retains a much sportier drive/feel.
That's fine, and it makes perfect sense if you can only own one (1) and only one vehicle.
Which is why wagons are so popular in the income and parking space constrained Europe.

But in the US, 90+% of the population can afford to, and does manage to own multiple vehicles.

There is really no need to compromise on space, or handling by restricting yourself to just a wagon. And an ///M-wagon at that.
Get a proper ///M-car that will always handle better than a wagon, and a roomy commuter vehicle (diesel or electric), if you need the space!

a
Appreciate 0