F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Okay... Well:

I accept that you like what you bought and are happy with the cost effectiveness trade off vs what BMW came up with. In the meantime, have fun driving your car. HTH
1) Item 6: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2141

Only the m2 and cabriolet models have this.

2) The turner solution doesn't predate the m235ir, it is relatively new hence bmw couldn't go after market if they wanted to - in response to you hinting at if there were better why didn't bmw go for it.

3) You can clearly see the massive amounts of flex on the bmw carbon brace when it is being installed vs. there being no such flex on the turner motorsports brace. Then the ability to add rigidity to a part depends on how stress forces are transferred to the brace, can't transfer the stress means no improvement in rigidity. The turner braces are secured in many more points vs the bmw brace, meaning better transfer of forces in the wheel house region and thus better rigidity. This is how physics works, you can't transfer forces without contact being made.

4) Bollocks huh? Seems like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Gee I wonder where those braces are attached to, looks like the strut tower to me.

If the strut tower is forced to move towards or away from the fire wall guess where the load transfers? Right to the tubular brace and corner brace in a tension or compression action (some other forces like shear and bending will be present as they are angled). If the tower goes left or right? Same story.... If the strut goes up then these bars act to hold it down like tie down straps.

5)

What like this?

That's what happens when a crap ton of force is concentrated on to small of a surface area, in this instance the weakest material will fail first. So if you want to more effectively transfer forces you need more mounting area.

And yet it still doesn't prove rigidity, because if the tensile strength is high enough the brackets will still shear and break despite flexing. For example a stripped drain thread, the bolt stretches and deforms while being torqued in elastic deformation. But the weaker thread fails after a certain torque limit which is way before the drain bolt's failure point. The bolt still flexed in this scenario, so it doesn't show proof of rigdity, it just shows tensile strength of the carbon being much stronger and all the forces being directed to a sole mounting point.

Yes both braces are mounted to thin stamped steel moutning points, hence why if you want to transfer forces effectively it is better to have more mounting points on the chassis, something the corner braces do.

6) My example was to show you not everything bmw does is top notch and there are sacrifces involved.

7) I do not have all the parts required for weighing, atleast I am trying to provide manufactuer reported weights, something you don't do. All I see on your end of things is talking but nothing to back up your claims.

8) I have multiple strut tower braces I am testing, no guarantee any current one I have in my possession will remain.