View Single Post
      07-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #52
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
No disrespect to anyone however knocking, clunking, clicking and poping are all different noises and are subjective to person posting. Using one term over another will get different responses. For instance knocking people will gravitate to something loose or top hats, poping for end links and clicking something internal to the shock as an example.

So all I'm saying is try to be prescriptive and be open to issue lying outside of the shock however being induced by the shock.

I for one understand how frustrating it can be when you don't know what the actual noise is and chasing your tail forever wondering if it is normal or not.
I agree. It's very hard to know if others have the same sound and same issue as me without hearing their car or driving it. I should upload a video of what mine sounds like so others know better if they should listen to and follow my solution, if I ever find one.

However, I don't think the general discussion is useless, because it gives others (and myself) ideas of what to try to fix or replace. I think the best course of action for anyone is to gather a list of possible solutions, list them in order from cheaper/easiest to most expensive, and run down the list until the noise stops. Right now, myself, and maybe others are a bit like chickens with their heads cut off until there are enough opinions and thoughts to make a list like I mentioned.

I'm giving my car to my mechanic to install a DP in the next week or so. While there, I'm having him replace the top hat bolts, the carrier nut and bolts, the stiffening plate bolts, and check torque on the front axle supports. If one of these fixes the issue, I'm not gonna know which it was or take the time to find out, because they are all simple to replace. But if it does fix my issue, it will give others an idea of what to try.

Top Hat Nut x2 - 34339806226 $3.52/ea
Shock Carrier Bolt x2 - 07119905418 $4.79/ea 56Nm
Shock Carrier Nut x2 - 33326768884 $1.79/ea 56Nm
Stiffening Plate Bolts x8 - 33326768354 $3.31/ea 56Nm + 90 Degree rotation

Actually, I just looked through my order and forgot to buy the top hat bolts. So I won't have him replace them this time because I don't want to pay for shipping or wait for them to arrive.

BTW, here's a pdf I was sent with diagnosis repair procedure for Front Axle Steering Noise Elimination. Other than the carrier bolts and stiffening plate bolts, it also recommends to check front axle support bolts are torqued to 19Nm. Then goes to Lubricating the wheel bearing if those three fail to resolve the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B31 03 18 Attachment.pdf (742.1 KB, 220 views)
Appreciate 1