GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
If rod bearings are a maintenance item:
[*]why doesn't the service schedule list them as such
For the same reason that automatic gearbox oil is 'lifetime'.
Not everything is in the service schedule.
I consider a waterpump also as a maintenace item

Quote:
[*]why wouldn't the engineers make every effort to make them easy to change
They are easy to change. If you think its difficult, then your knowledge is not up to par.

But regarding to one of the factual misinterpretations he makes in his column, just to prove my point or at least show what I mean, he says:
Quote:
and their cooling systems were made of plastic and sealed, ensuring catastrophic failure where scalding hot coolant would shoot out of your engine bay, overheating your engine, at which point your head gasket would blow.
This is written in regard of the s54 engine (specificly in an e46 m3).
He bases this upon a thread that shows how to overhaul the cooling system in the e46 m3. Because over time things can start to leak (like a leaking waterpump or thermostat gasket). Fine. That is pretty much something that can happen on all cars.
But then he says that it ensures catastropic failure because coolant would shoot out and the engine would therefore overheat (headgasket failure etc bla bla bla).
Ok then, lets assume there is a coolant leak and deduct what will happen. Coolant is leaking out of the system. What happens is that the coolant level in the coolant reservoir will drop. The first result of this is that the coolant level sensor will cause a warning light on the dashboard. The engine then can only overheat if that warninglight is ignored. This means that if that scenarion would take place with the engine overheating and headgasket blown etc. that would be a drivers error.
He doesnt say anything about that. Why? Lack of knowledge, doesnt he know about that sensor/warninglight? (what that light means is explained in the owners manual) or did he just want to attract readers by setting a specific mood?
This makes it a badly written piece.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-23-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 2