05-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #295
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
if a 335i has good response, the 1m coupe i would have to say suffers from some shitty turbo lag. i always thought this wasnt the case. this is why i love the m3 and its awesome engine. hope the new m2/3/4 have addressed this.
I wouldn't call it shitty. I have driven those type of turbo lag cars. The 1M is actually pretty good BUT the throttle response is slightly quicker on the N55. The two turbo setup lets them get more power easily because you have small turbos for only three cylinders. The single turbo has to feed all six so there is the potential that if they increase the size to make more boost, it also will have more lag. Personally, I prefer NA motors and would give up a few horsepower for quicker more linear throttle response but most people just want the big number. With all that said, the 1M is such a bitchin' car that you can easily overlook a little bit of lag.

Automobile Magazine Comparison

Page 2 Quote: "On the street, after driving N54 and N55 cars back to back, it's definitely safe to say that the N55 suffers from even less turbo lag than the N54 did. And that engine set the benchmark."

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...5is_dyno_test/

Last edited by nachob; 05-01-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0