Thread: M2 I6 > M2 I4
View Single Post
      03-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
VanosKickedInYo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AW

M2 I6 > M2 I4

Man for all those who are disappointed that the M2 will be an I6 instead of a 4banger... Hold your vajay jays...

1) The M2 doesn't need to complete with an audi s3 or a Merc cla45 AMG when the m235i will probably be just as good or even better than these 'competitions.'

2) Bmw doesn't need to produce the 'highest output' 4 cylinder engines to 'keep up' with the rest of the Automobile Market... Sure the cla45 is pretty impressive on paper, but I guarantee you that its reliability is still in question (Especially when they don't have a long history of high-output F/I 4-Cylinder engine)... It's already pushing 26.1 PSI which means that its tunability would be both difficult and expensive... If you want to compare this with any other high-performance 4-cylinder engines, the 2.0L 4B11T (Evo X) is pushing around 19.1Psi and I believe the EJ257 (STI) is pushing around 14.5Psi. I know this isn't really fair to compare because these cars are obviously in different-classes and have completely different uses altogether, but once you boost the Evo and the Sti to near 25 PSI, they will sh** all over the CLA. (Yes and I know the whole point of this 'competition' everybody is hyping about is to see which Company can create the highest output built straight from production... but I think it's fair to say both the STi and the Evo already has an higher-output when we start to factor in the fact that the Sti and Evo can push up to the mid 25psi as well without any engine-modification and probably is more reliable and produce much more hp than the cla... Yeah the cla comes stock boost with 26.1 psi but what can you do to squeeze any more power out without spending thousands to modify the internals,etc? (So Long story short, the engine in the cla is impressive, but actually not really...)

3) Bmw's I-6's is and has been blowing every competition in it's class for a very long time... (Of course I'm Excluding the boxer engines from porsche since most people will consider porsche to be in another class)
Look, like many people have been mentioning for years... No one has really unlocked the full potential of what the n55 can push... I mean stock it's only pushing 10psi... This is probably the reason why Bmw has refused to focus their time and finances to rebuild another engine and instead have been trying to improve and perfect the n55 specifically for several models... They know that the n55 has so much power to be tapped while being a perfectly reliable engine at the same time...

(So instead of either complaining about the m2 not getting a 4-banger or an s55, why don't we Just give bmw just a bit more time and I think they'll impress us with the n55...)

4) Like I sort of was implying above, the n55 is not an 'outdated' engine... Bmw has kept on changing the internals, ecu's, etc in order to keep on improving the powerband, responsiveness, fuel-mileage, and reliability of the engine. I mean once you start replacing the Cams, Headers, and the Pistons... Once you start Messing around with fuel compression, etc... Technically, it's not the same Engine! (Well just in my opinion)

And Yes, the n20 is one damn good 4-cylinder... I think it's actually the best in its class... (Factoring in the Power-band, Fuel-Consumption, Responsiveness) And Yes, Bmw can choose to modify the n20 in order to compete with the rest of the high-output 4-bangers but why go through all that trouble when they have spent so much time in improving the n55? We can go in circles about 'weight reduction' between the I6 and the 4 but it's not actually that different... + you have to factor in again how much power the I6 can produce while being reliable vs how much the 4 will do at the same time.

So to sum everything up... Whatever Engine the m2 will come out with, it will be a one hell of a Monster!
Appreciate 0