United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Latest BMW M2 Rumors

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M2 Rumors from M235i Launch
COMMENTS

Updated 3/2/14:

BIMMERPOST evidence of 6 cylinder engine tested in M2 prototype.

This update brings us The News of the Year. Some of you may remember me from the crazy bmw.com-sourced pre-prod info dump in early 2013. I found another source. The info is very limited this time: just the model, engine, and transmission type, and lists not only the models that are guaranteed to come, but also all those that BMW considered as a possibility (for example, the list includes both RWD and xDrive, manual and auto US F31s). The regularly updated list has been kept here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686

Ladies and gentlemen, here is the latest update -- get ready for BMW M2!

-- BMW M2, N55B30T0, manual and auto

* This tells us at least that an M2 has been tested, and with an upgraded N55 engine paired to both a manual and auto transmission.

Source: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953325

1/20/14 post:

Autoexpress reports that a BMW insider they spoke to at the M235i launch in Las Vegas last week let on that the BMW M2 "makes a lot of sense." In addition, a "source" confirmed that a road-going version of the M235i Racing (a track-only customer race car) was considered for production, but this plan was nixed so as not to "step on the toes of something else higher up the range.” The source added that this refers to a new M car. The article goes on to speculate about pricing and other technical aspects, but that is purely guesswork at this point.

Our resident BMW insider, Scott26, has recently had this to add about a potential BMW M2.

Quote:
The time frame between M4 Coupe and M2 Coupe will be around two years to on sale date so there is plenty of opportunity and of course time to establish the M4 as the mid-level Coupe. And creating space for the M2.
Quote:
The strategy for the M2 shows how a lightweight philosophy would be the greatest advantage for an M2 along with more or less the same recipe as the 1er M Coupe.
So, there seems to be plenty of smoke (rumors) around a possible M2. Will this be a case of 'where there's smoke, there's fire'? Our fingers are crossed.

Appreciate 0