View Single Post
      12-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpak View Post
Had the M2 for nearly a month now and can't fault the mechanical aspects...amazing! And really, almost feel guilty driving it as a DD given it's always asking to have some fun...But as a DD, there are some annoyances that perhaps are due to operator error, any suggestions/fixes?
  • I have the Tyre Pressure monitor as a "bookmark" so that the screen jumps to it every time I start the car. However it always opens with the "Perform Reset or Cancel" screen.
  • The "oil temp slider" can't be permanently left on and always has to be selected when starting the car. Hey it's all we got!?
  • If i switch to my iPhone for music, it just starts playing the first track on my iPhone every time, which i now detest. There is no memory for what I was last playing in the car and why does it insist on playing something rather than letting me choose.
  • Navigation is woeful. Roads that are 5 years old here in Melbourne (eg South Road extension) are missing, names are wrong, maps are wrong, and the path it chooses is not to my level of German efficiency. Dealer blames it on the TomTom maps it uses , i'm not sure about that one.
  • Voice recognition is woeful
  • the touch pad letter thing is silly, slow, and probably dangerous if used while driving (imho).

To be fair, no one would expect BMW to excel in the software arena. In fact, I'm not sure why they even try, they can never possibly keep up and that's not what we want them concentrating on anyway. Apple Car play makes total sense and I'm sure an open platform approach across all new vehicles will be adopted soon enough and you'll be able to choose what entertainment system you want and swap and change at will. eg Google maps, voice recognition (etc) is just far superior to anything right now so i'd be watching that space.

At this stage, I think BMW should show leadership and offer Apple Car Play for free. Asking us to pay a reported cost of AUD$500 for software and then use Apple maps! Geez... of course the dealer tells me that's Apple's cost and they just pass it on (dubious).

Ok rant over...how good is it in the mountains! Music...who needs it!
My first song is A.D.H.D. By Kendrick Lamar.

So hearing "un huh, fock thattt" is fine with me before I change it lmao
Appreciate 0