05-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Blur View Post
Sorry for the beginner post here, but just trying to find the best route to go, the easiest way to get track time and figuring out the funds needed to get started (minus the car mods + wear and tear).
Awesome! It can be daunting at first looking into all this stuff. Totally makes sense. No need to qualify it. You'll find track guys are a bunch of nice people that share the same addiction and, generally, like to help new guys out just getting into it.

Easiest way to get track time is google/research providers in your area. Search "track day provider" or "hpde provider" or "drive my car on the track" or whatever.

You've got Hooked On Driving as a larger provider that rents out tracks around the country. You'll also have local providers. Car clubs such as BMW CCA as been mentioned. There may even be a local shop that does its own track days in your area.

Funds-wise, a solid average I've seen over the years tends to be around $325 per track day, including an ambulance or two to be on call and ready at a moment's notice, and - depending on the provider - sometimes includes breakfast and/or lunch. That is the cost to drive your car on the track for that day. It does not include gas. It may be $295 or it could be $450, depending on the track, the day, and the provider. I normally see low $300 range, so I think it's a good average when planning and budgeting.

Quote:
Anyone have recommendations toward Southern California track time? I'm not looking to race, just get some time on a track, some instruction and have fun.
I would suggest to do a track school. This is not the same thing as a racing school, even though some of them may be called racing schools... it's a walk before you can run kind of thing. Everybody has to learn the basics first. Track schools are dedicated to teaching you skills that directly translate to better, safer driving on the street, better understanding of the dynamics of your car, and increased ability to handle emergency situations. None of this is about racing. Track school will accelerate your learning and get you more comfortable driving out on track on your own sooner, while ensuring to have any bad habits you've built up over the years to be looked at and broken.

My favorite SoCal track (I am from there) is Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA.

It is the smaller course at the Willow Springs International Raceway compound, about an hour north of LA. The Streets is a small, tight, and technical course. You don't reach silly high top speeds, and those who are good with their technical skills like braking, cornering, and smooth driving, are rewarded -- big horsepower does not help you on such a small track. It's all about the driver.

Other cool tracks are Buttonwillow - another obscure, but very fun track in SoCal. Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) is also a good track, although it's a D-shaped oval with a flat infield section - I prefer smaller tracks that have natural elevation changes such as Streets of Willow, since they (to me) feel more organic in how they flow.

I think most of the track schools use the Streets of Willow also, btw.

You may get an instructor with some track day providers, such as Hooked on Driving, but they are there with lots of other drivers and their number one priority is safety of all drivers on the track. So you may get limited instruction as a novice driver with one of these groups, and that is great -- it just will not be the amount of dedicated instruction you will get by doing a school even for 1 day, but 2 days school is ideal.

Quote:
I understand that you can't simply pick a track, schedule a slot, have an inspection, put on a helmet and off you go.
Well actually, it's not really that much more complicated than that. The only piece you're missing is the "track day provider" part - the company who rents out the track and schedules slots for us all. I do suggest getting your own helmet btw, if you'll track often.

Quote:
It seems each track has their rules and regulations. Seems a license or getting you checked per track, having some form of prior experience seems to be the norm.
For the most part the rules are pretty constant. Mostly different providers will have different rules, for example regarding hard-top convertibles.

Rules on the track are also nearly identical (what the flags mean, etc.) although some groups may run different rules on what to do during a red flag for example -- stop right there or exit the track slowly or what? -- but that stuff is not a big deal, just go to the morning drivers meeting (mandatory anyway) on each track day and that stuff is usually covered.

You do not need prior experience and you do not need any kind of license to do just track days or track schools. Racing is different and not necessary to discuss here.

Remember, experienced track guys want to see more people go to the track, become better drivers, have fun with their cars in a safe environment. I think you'll find if you're mindful and respectful of people's time, do your basic research, and join some track days you'll feel welcomed and meet lots of awesome guys who are more than willing to help you out.

Quote:
Is it best to join a club or instruction school and go from there? If so, any recommendations?

Any help and guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Yeah I personally believe doing a track school is the best way to go, although a reputable group that provides instructors to novice / first-time drivers such as Hooked on Driving is certainly not a bad way to get started, and if the school you can do locally is next August 2018 and you want to drive on the track before then, don't let that stop you!

Schools, look around and read reviews. I've not done one for cars, so can't comment, but check out the popular ones like Chin or Skip Barber.
Appreciate 2
M2 Blur125.50
mokrunka140.00