View Single Post
      12-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #146
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You're talking about a 2011. My wife's 2013 X1 has far better feel than the current lineup M3, M4 or my 2014 435i. JMHO.

Go out and try a new model.... report back Mr 2011 on the 2017 / 2018 models.
You keep saying that like it's a good thing. It's not.

The reason why the X1 seems to have better steering feel is because it's based on a FWD platform. Because there's a lot more hardware to carry up front, it "feels" better because the steering wheel is weighted more.

Back in 2002 BMW had to do the same thing for the 330Xi. Because of all the additional hardware the Xi platform had to carry, the steering feels a lot stiffer and heavier. So heavy that BMW decided to calibrated the rack so that everything feels significantly lighter. For whatever STUPID reason, they decided to apply that same light steering feel to all the 3 liter engine based steering rack. One of the worst things to happen to the E46 because BMW sacrificed steering weight and feel in favor of the Xi and it's additional driveshaft up front.

Since the X1 is based on a front wheel drive platform, the steering naturally has more weight because it carries a lot more heft up front. For some reason BMW thinks backwards and tries to artificially engineer the electronic steering calibration to accommodate AWD and FWD models on their RWD models.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0