View Single Post
      03-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #39
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
Wow I think I've found the secret lair of the rennlisters. I just bought an M2 over the weekend, and I'm likely selling my GT4 soon.

I'm surprised to see Aleks and the MayorAdamWest here!

Anyhow I bought the M2 to consolidate, and reduce some "fun" expenses. I love the car so far, it's fantastic. In many ways to me it feels like a true successor to the E46 M3.

A couple of questions:
  • Do you guys feel the AP racing set up is mandatory? if so why?
  • Does the M2 pass sound at laguna at full throttle?

I plan to leave the car stock if possible, but I want to hear the reasons why I should or shouldn't change out the brakes. I'm not a hard/aggressive driver. For example, I tracked the GT4 7 times last year, and I still have tread on the original Cup 2s (almost to wear bar), and the brakes are in good shape.

In my opinion, the AP racing kit is mandatory. When I first bought the M2, I was excited about the better OEM brakes vs. the previous M3 platform. One of my big reasons for excitement was that I wouldn't have to spend money upgrading the brakes.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Even with Castrol SRF and Pagid RS29 pads I would get severe brake fade and would have to end my sessions early. The OEM kit was basically costing me money in shortened track days and extremely high pad wear rate.

I finally bit the bullet and got the AP kit; while I haven't had a chance to test it on track yet (my car is down for a build until April), check out my unboxing impressions in this thread (2nd post) http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1353408

They are really a work of art and I have no doubt they will solve the issues the OEM system has on the track. It should be much more economical to run, probably paying for itself after a season or two. The pads being 2x as thick as OEM yet costing just a couple bucks more offer literally a couple hundred dollar savings every time you buy replacements:

And 10lbs unsprung weight reduction is honestly nothing to sneeze at either.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50