View Single Post
      03-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #38
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
As for the brakes, it depends. Keep in mind your GT4 weighs 450lbs less and has GT3 brakes. The OEM GT3 brakes were fine for me even under very hard use. That said, there is no way the factory brakes on the M2 can take that punishment. It's not a track car like the GT4. If you are going to track the M2 get the brakes. To me it's a safety thing. The factory brakes are great until the moment they aren't, and that's when you end up in a wall. As for the tires, you may decide to drive harder, you may not. As long as you have fun, it doesn't matter.
I agree with you on the GT4 brakes. We see customers getting huge life out of our 2-piece AP Racing J Hook discs mated to the OEM calipers on the GT4 and GT3. Too bad those calipers are such a disaster for pad and disc changes though! If I were designing one of our Competition Kits for the GT4, I'd probably use a six piston/355x32mm front system, mated to a four piston/340x28mm rear. We've been winning races and championships with that setup on Z06's for years, and I think it would be the sweet spot for the GT4 in terms of durability and unsprung weight savings. The rear 380x30mm rear disc is frankly an anchor for that car to drag around. You could knock about 8 lbs. of thermal mass out of those rear discs and still be good to go. For reference, the C7.R Factory Corvette won Le Mans with only a 355mm rear AP Racing disc!
Appreciate 0