View Single Post
      07-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #77
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
I cannot begin to imagine why BMW would do this. It does not make good business sense. Unless the M2 is in the plans to become the DTM racing platform I don't see it happening.

Regarding the MT vs DCT debate the U.S. is obsessed with NASCAR (4 speed MT), straight line speed and manual transmissions. Europe follows F1 and DTM both with DCT variants. The days of MT in racing outside of historic's is about to go the way of the horse and buggy.

In my track car I have a MT (e36 M3). I would be lying if I said I wouldn't trade it for a DCT car. Having driven COTA, Barber, NCM, Heartland and others multiple times I don't believe that I would enjoy the track sessions any less with DCT. In 20 years of driving I have never come off the track thinking about how much I enjoyed using my left foot as part of the process of shifting. I love the technology of the DCT.

I spent two days driving with Brian Redmond two years ago. The year before that it was Justin Bell. Both of them marveled over the F1 style transmissions and how great they are. I would be surprised out if either, given the option, would drive a manual. That being said there are probably equally as many purists so simply the best option is "to each their own". Fortunately the voice of America is big enough that most manufacturers will still deliver manuals to America. Even if they are ultimately slower on the track with comparable drivers.
Appreciate 0