View Single Post
      07-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusBigHouse View Post
Any ideas on a 3-4 day itinerary for the dolomites?

Good stops in western Germany on my way northward?

Just of note, we have spent a lot of time in Munich over the past 4-5 years (factory tour, oktoberfest), and have done the 'romantic road' on our last trip including Nuremberg, Rothenburg ODT. So, we don't need to see those places again. I don't like to drive more than 3 hours a day if possible. I take a lot of breaks, just to ease the stress on my back.

Itinerary rough sketch:

Day 1 arrive in Munich
Day 2 Munich BMW museum if open, do paperwork, enjoy lounge, and our yearly visit to Augustiner-Keller, but not in Trachen this time!
Day 3 Enjoy lounge, factory tour if interested in doing again, pick up and head south out of town
Day 4-7 Dolomites, northern italy
Day 7-9 wind northward to belgium with stops. Stop in bastogne (WWII buff)
Day 9-12 Belgium
Day 13-15 return car and amsterdam to visit a friend who hopefully is still there for work.

Personally, I've been to Bruges and Amsterdam, but my girlfriend hasn't been to either place. I'm more into small towns and in the beer world (although i'm a complete whisky convert), like the german helles lagers and the Belgian sours.

I'll leave it at that for now, any advice would be appreciated!
The Dolomiti can't be beat - fantastic destination. Suggestions based on personal experience:

Ortisei. Hotel Adler is good
San Cassiano - Rosa Alpina is good.

Can't go wrong in my view - Mandatory destination for any ED I do - and not just because it's on the way to my wife's hometown of Trieste - would be #1 destination without that personal objective. Fabulous destination, and a fabulous drive to get there. You'll love it - I haven't been for a couple of years now - jealous!

I assume you're thinking about some timeframe before mid-October - because after that you have to start worrying about snow. That said, the Dolomiti are also great ski destinations.

You can spend a day hiking, or mountain biking, or relaxing/spa-ing and having fabulous food in one of the most gorgeous locations on the planet. Easy & fun day trip would be a drive - like from San Cassiano to Cortina and back. Great roads for a driving enthusiast - and, again, fabulous food and sights anywhere along the way. You said WWII buff - but if you're interested in WWI as well, there are a couple of WWI sites along that route that you might find interesting (Forte Tre Sassi and Passo Falzarego).

I'd pick one spot as a base, and do things from there - distances are not so far that you can't get to some location and back in 1 day. E.g. Ortisei to Tre Cime di Lavaredo is a 2 hour drive - great lunch and sites - 2 hour drive back (different route). If that's too much driving, pick a closer destination. And if you're more interested in just hanging out - you're in the right place - so just staying put in one spot would be just fine and a great experience - really can't go wrong.

On my last ED in Sept 2015 - we did just what you are proposing - picked up car, drove straight to Rosa Alpina. We continued south from there - Eventually hitting Dubrovnik, Leuca (ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari), Rome (visit cousins just outside of the city - don't think I'd take a brand new M2 into Rome proper), Tuscany, Trieste (again) and then day-trip back to Munich for drop-off and flight home ... but the Dolomiti were the highlight.

Last edited by jjclyde; 07-30-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0