12-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #110
Drtsk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80C,GT4,C4GTS,CT4-BW,MK8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
Like Transcon, I too sold my 997.2-- a GTS cab that I owned for 3 1/2 years.

Lots of thoughts, but not sure they would be relevant to your decision, because the 997.2 and 991 are TOTALLY different 911's, which is something that hasn't really been emphasized enough in this thread. IMHO, the 997.2 is the last of the true 'driver's car' 911's that Porsche produced.

In short, the 997.2 worked out all the kinks from the 996 and 997.1 and was the most reliable, water cooled, hydraulic steering 911 ever made.
Had my GTS been a 6MT, I wouldn't have ever sold it-- it will likely appreciate in value in the next 10 years if I had to guess.
The problem is that the 997.2 --especially the GTS-- is a bit of a harsh ride if you live in an area with rough roads, like I do. Consequently, I didn't feel like I really could enjoy the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed. The most fun I had was one track weekend in 2015.
That segues into the 991, which is a more 'civilized' ride than the 997.2, model for model (base, S, GTS, and even the GT3).
The 991 is far more of a GT car than the 997.2 was, which has its pros and cons. It's definitely more suited to be a DD, even on questionable roads like mine.

Much like Transcon, I too am of the opinion that I would like to own and drive as many great cars in my life as I can. Consequently, when I sold my porsche, I bought a new 6th gen Camaro 2SS-- yes a camaro-- after I read the rave reviews on Motor trend and Car and Driver, when it beat out the M4 in multiple tests on the road and track. I didn't give a fu*k what any friend of mine thought about it or how I would like, etc, and that's my best advice to anyone else on here contemplating what they should get next.

I've owned 2 porsches and I'm very blessed/fortunate that I will be able to own several more if I so desire. In fact, the next generation GT4 will be in my near future for 2019.
But in the meantime, I'm pulling the trigger on the M2. I have a week 38 build and placed my deposit last week, which means I will be selling my camaro after only a year. Why you ask? Because while I'm glad I took the plunge with my first american muscle car, I like but don't love my camaro, and I've been semi obsessed with the M2 since last year when Jeremy Clarkson declared his favorite M car in over 20 years.

I want to go back to a car that feels tossable, but still has plenty of torque. Having recently driven the M2 in the rain in Atlanta on less than stellar roads, I really really liked it. It didn't feel harsh at all, but then again I'm coming from a Camaro, and before that a 997.2 GTS. The clutch is far more linear than my Camaro, and the car felt so nimble and responsive.
I also really liked sitting up a bit higher c/w my previous Porsches or the Camaro. Not everyone cares about that, but for me, it's more confidence inspiring to sit a bit higher, especially when you're surrounded by rednecks in pick ups.
Your assessment between 997.2 and 991 is spot on.
I currently have 11’ 997.2 gts 6mt and 991.1 c2s cab 7mt.
I think the difference between the two are like the difference between M2 and M4 (even though I have no seat time in the M2)
You drive a 911 because you want to go for a drive. You drive a BMW because you have to get somewhere. Who cares about infotainment system in a 911. I’ve had to change out my PCM on the 991.1 under warranty. The idrive is much better system. And if u buy car for the infotainment then get the BMW (That is why my wife drives X6M and not the cayenne turbo s)
There is something magical about a 911 NA. And I think it has to be a 3.8 and not the base 3.4 when it comes to 997 and 991. The cab on the 991.1 is better executed than the past 911 cab due to the magnesium top. The rigidity is almost similar to the coupe. The driving dynamics suffers slightly due to the extra weight and not the rigidity. The 7mt is a waste. I guess Porsche just wanted to be the 1st to have a 7mt. In almost 4 years of ownership, I’ve been in 7th gear maybe hand full of time. GT4 short shifter kit is a must for 991.1 manual. I drive 991.1 a lot more because the wife prefers the ride over the 997.
With that being said, I think the 997.2 gts coupe is the perfect 911 that is not a GT 911. The 6mt is perfect. The hydraulic steering is somewhat similar to my son’s 335is, which is great. When I go out just for a drive on my own, I always get in my Carrera White GTS. This is one car I will keep until I die. Anyone looking for their 1st 911 should look into 997.2 GTS 6MT (they are difficult to find but worth searching and waiting). And it has to be a manual.
With all that, I’m seriously considering a M2 for DD. The WRX I got 10 months ago is not doing it for me. The lesson is; never listen to your college student son.
Appreciate 0