11-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
While I think some people will wait for the CS or competition or whatever the hell the rumor mill calls it, I do think we are seeing the BRZ effect. Everyone who wants one has one and sales just sharply drop off after the initial rabid enthusiast uptake.

Personally I think people are in for some sticker shock when the pricing comes out for the competition. "this much for a 2 series" will likely be the phrase.
I agree with all of that. CS speculations have been around from the get go and as much I would like to hold out for one, there is no way I (or most others) would pay what is likely going to be a ridiculous price. Even if the MSRP was reasonable, the dealers will mark them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
Also consider that the longer the cars have been out the more likely that some examples will start to acquire higher mileage so their resale value will reflect that as well.

It also varies by location, my local dealer still has a lengthy wait list and it has remained pretty consistent like that for the past year.
Yes, but I narrowed my searches down to miles under 10k and most of them are still in the 3-5k range.
Yes, location matters on new ones, but the used market is nationwide and not as affected by location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
I agree with the BRZ effect, most people who want one and can afford one already have one. And I'm sure there are a handful of people holding out for the CS or whatever it will be called. The demand is no longer significantly more than the supply. Same with GT350.

With that said, used M2s are still holding their value well, very few used M2s have been listed below $50k. I'm sure a few have sold for less than $50k, but asking prices for the most part have stayed north of $50k.
Like I wrote. I had noticed almost the same effect on the GT350. Could not find one for under $60k it seemed, and now I have seen a few for under $50k. Sure mileage plays a factor, but it seems that both cars are filling demand after 2-3 years on the market. That means dealers will no longer be able to mark them up when new, which subsequently will effect the used car prices. Who would pay as much for a used one, when you can get a new one for the same price? The old rule used to be that a car drops 10-20% when you drive it off the lot, and that might start being the case again with supply meeting demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The other part of the equation which people may not be ready for, is that these (M2) cars are going to depreciate like other BMWs, or at least like the most similar BMW vehicle in the stable, the M3, does. There's been a 2 year delay in this, but it is going to start with gusto, and will accelerate with model refreshes and engine changes. Another thing that ultimately depresses demand for used M-cars, is that BMWs are not cheap to keep running, and just because one can afford to purchase a used M-car at 1/2 off it's original selling price, does not mean that one can afford to maintain and repair it; this further reduces demand for used ones.

Gravity is a very hard force to overcome :-)

The only reasons why the 1M has been immune to this depreciation, so far, are the car's unpolished quirkiness and rarity.
Yep, up until now M2 owners got spoiled with great resale. The 1M affect probably helped the cause also, but once the market adjusts it will be closer to M3/M4 depreciation.
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00