11-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
While I think some people will wait for the CS or competition or whatever the hell the rumor mill calls it, I do think we are seeing the BRZ effect. Everyone who wants one has one and sales just sharply drop off after the initial rabid enthusiast uptake.

Personally I think people are in for some sticker shock when the pricing comes out for the competition. "this much for a 2 series" will likely be the phrase.
Can't speak to future pricing for any competition or other special editions. Porsche has a long history of coming out with special editions and rare cars, and the prices do stick for them, but I think probably less so for BMW. Once you push the price of almost any BMW to extreme heights, people discover real super cars that can be had for not much more.

Agree very much on the "BRZ effect." I don't recall Subaru dealers being able to get above MSRP on them, nor do I recall them being very hard to find, even shortly after they were released. I found mine sitting on a dealer's lot, and bought it on a whim in June of 2013; I think I even got somewhat of a deal on it. When I bought my 2015 STi, dealers all over the country were trying to get "market adjustments," however I just drove into the dealer and they caved on that $5K adjustment immediately. Similarly, the Mk VII Golf R was hot on release, but market adjustments were a challenge to execute, and these things have finally started to depreciate significantly.

Expensive and small performance cars like the M2 are a very tiny niche in the automotive marketplace, even moreso if we are talking MT vehicles, especially in N. America, where trucks and SUVs reign supreme.

The other part of the equation which people may not be ready for, is that these (M2) cars are going to depreciate like other BMWs, or at least like the most similar BMW vehicle in the stable, the M3, does. There's been a 2 year delay in this, but it is going to start with gusto, and will accelerate with model refreshes and engine changes. Another thing that ultimately depresses demand for used M-cars, is that BMWs are not cheap to keep running, and just because one can afford to purchase a used M-car at 1/2 off it's original selling price, does not mean that one can afford to maintain and repair it; this further reduces demand for used ones.

Gravity is a very hard force to overcome :-)

The only reasons why the 1M has been immune to this depreciation, so far, are the car's unpolished quirkiness and rarity.
Appreciate 0