Thread: Key west
View Single Post
      08-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #33
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

I spent a large chunk of my childhood in Key Largo, and have since gone back to the keys for a few weeks at a time every couple of years since then (I'm 33). Here's a couple of tips, and feel free to PM me with questions, or post here.

I'll try to keep it in order of the keys.....

1. Key Largo - one of the larger keys and is fairly commercial. John Pennekamp State Park is the largest underwater state park in the US. It has nice beaches, mangroves, and its usually not too overcrowded. Key Largo also has the Jules Vern underwater hotel, if you're into that kind of thing.

2. Islamorada - Robbie's of Islamorada is a bar/restaurant right on the docks. You can also charter fishing boats from here. The food is great, as is the scenery. This series of keys are fairly long, and have a lot of mangrove coverage so the fishing scene is pretty good here.

3. Marathon - Curry Hammock State Park has beautiful beaches...probably some of the best in the keys and they are right off of the main road. The end of Marathon is the start of the Seven Mile Bridge, which is pretty spectacular for a first timer, in my opinion.

4. Big Pine/Cudjoe/Sugarloaf Keys - Typically by the time we're here, we are anxious to get to Key West, so I haven't spent much time in these keys. The Great White Heron National Wildlife Refuge is off of Sugarloaf, I believe, and has some great wildlife tours.

5. Key West - This will be the longest post because we've spent the most time here recently. Random thoughts/musings....

-I prefer to stay at the bed & breakfasts throughout the island as they give you a better sense of the place. Curry House has been my favorite. The Alexander Palms Court is a throwback to KW of the 50's (aka, hasn't been updated) but is a really cool layout. If you want a hotel, The Southernmost Resort/Hotel is the nicest on the island in my opinion. Renting a house/cottage on AirBnB is an awesome way to stay on the island, too.

-I think the food in KW is an underrated aspect of going there. MUST GO: Garbo's Grill, The Conch Shack, Kelly's Caribbean Bar & Grille, Blue Heaven. SHOULD GO (if you have the time/money): Latitudes....reservation required and it is actually not on Key West. You take a ferry from the main harbor over to Sunset Key (resort key). Book it for about an hour before sunset, and it will be amazing...great date spot.

-Bars: They are plentiful. Going to the Duval bars one night is fun, without a doubt....Irish Kevins, Hogs Breath, Willie T's, Smallest Bar, Sloppy Joe's, etc. My favorite NON-Duval bars are Green Parrot (live music), The Porch (awesome beer and people watching), The Speakeasy (largest rum/whiskey selection in KW) and Dante's (great for laying by the pool and drinking during the day).

-Other random thoughts: Rent a scooter to travel around the island. Go to the Hemingway House and ask for Boston Bob as your tour guide. Go on an eco-tour with Sebago, Danger Charters or Fury (Danger has the best sunset wine cruise). The best beach on the island is either the Southernmost, or the small beach at the end of Simonton (next to Lagerheads Bar)....keep in mind, people do not go to KW for the lush, white sandy beaches.

I'm sure I'll think of more. We just spent a week down there in early May....always a great time. Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
upstatedoc7567.50