03-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #34
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
You think people are bad drivers now......wait until they've been using auto pilot 95% of the time for 5 years and then choose to drive for themselves that 5% of the time
I think the safety net is where it's at. Look even the most attentive drivers can get distracted. I was driving downtown and next to me there was a 911 Turbo just parked wrapped in the most hideous vinyl I have ever seen. Think about that speckled cheap formica stuff used for kitchen counters. It looked like that but worse. And there was a ho ho with a very short skirt, no underwear, climbing out of it. So yes, I am a very good (borderline excellent) safe driver 99% of the time. But I got distracted not from texting or doing something stupid but just because something completely ridiculous was happening right next to me. I would have tapped the car in front of me had the dash on the sport wagon lit up and snapped me back into focus. So yes, I don't subscribe to the drive for me theory but there is definite value in the car alerting you to things about to go wrong and ultimately taking corrective action for you. I don't even use cruise control, adaptive or old school, because I find it reduces my focus on the task at hand. So I actually do think about this stuff and take it seriously.
Appreciate 0