c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
Corinne, I have owned a base Corvette Stingray for nearly four years and it is simply an amazing machine to drive. I had no desire for Corvette or any American car prior to the C7.

Engine: its fast rev'ing 6.2L N/A engine produces linear, tire-screeching power through out the entire rpm range. Its simultaneous roar AND scream, together with the acceleration, induces exhilaration akin to that of a 100-foot (33-meter) roller coaster drop. It's thirsty in city driving but sips like an Englishman on the highway to the tune of 32mpg. Collectively it get 1-2mpg less than the M2 in mixed driving.

Suspension: ride with the base suspension (non-magnetic suspension) is more compliant (less stiff) and comfortable than the M2. Yet it exhibits nearly zero body roll on turns - it just stays flat and easily controllable the whole way through - which is very confidence-inspiring. Traction threshold on turn is just incredible and beyond approachable on public road. This can be a good or bad (less drama) thing depending on your perspective.

Transmission: the gear box is a bit vague and spongy - like most BMW manuals - but precise nonetheless and has a more reassuring engagement "click" than BMW. Fortunately there's an aftermarket shift kit that takes it to Porsche gear box level. Then there's this dreaded 1-to-4 gear thing (it forces you to shift from 1st to 4th by locking out 2nd and 3rd when you drive at low speed at light throttle.) It is bothersome to me enough that I would never buy the car if it couldn't be easily defeated (and it could) via aftermarket.

Interior: The quality of interior material is fantastic (esp. if you opt for the full leather dash), besting the M3/M4 level IMO. I like the driver focused, cockpit-like styling as well. The customizable/selectable digital gauge is great - I like it personally. The entertainment/nav/phone integration is where it falls well short in execution.

I really enjoyed the C7 that I traded-in toward the M2. If I had owned an M2 for a few years and then C7 came out later, I would've just as easily do the opposite. Who knows, maybe the upcoming mid-engine C8 will be my next car in a few years.

PS.
I was amazed how well the C7 was recognized and received by everyone from 5-yo girls to 90-yo men, across all races etc. Literally I had est. 5-yo girls screaming out "Corvette Stingray" as I drove past; I had old Asian men that normally don't give crap about cars came up to me to talk about it. There's was a surge of young Corvette owners of different races on the forum, a vast departure from the gold-chain-wearing-bald-dude stereotype. It's one of those few cars that transcends demographic.
Me either, the C7 was really the first Corvette I wanted. I liked the C6 but the interior was subpar. I like that the cockpit is very up to date, the entire screen is digital and customizable. The heads up display is also configurable and surprisingly a helpful aid at times. People walk up to my C7, take photos etc. They also will wave at me, stare at the car etc. Never really happens with the 135is.

I have the base suspension, but am very happy with it. I would compare it to how the base Porsche suspension would be compared to PASM. If you require more compliance, you could go with magnetic ride, a Z51 package etc. Or you could just add a set of swaybars and shocks from the Z51 and save some money there (FE3 suspension).

Also, driving in sport or track has removed any throttle delay I experienced when I first got the car. I was driving in touring mode at first.

I am surprised that I get overall better fuel economy compared to my 135is. I get 20-21 mpg in mixed driving with the 135is and 23-24mpg with the C7 under identical conditions. My overall fuel economy is 25.7mpg since I've owned the car, but I have taken a good bit of highway trips where I am averaging 31-32mpg at 75-80 mph.

I think my only real compliant is tire noise from the Pilot Super Sports, but plan to remedy that with AS3s which is what my 135is is now riding on.
Appreciate 0