View Single Post
      06-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #40
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbrick View Post
Dont see 18x9.5 ET28 listed in the group buy link?
The Group Buy has been changed to a traditional pre-sale layout, and the two wheel fitments would be 18x9.5" ET28 and 18x10.5" ET40 in the FL-5 design. In effort to keep this thread focused on the technical aspects, I will PM you the link to our commercial thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Hi
very interested in the SM-10's but if you guys ended up making the FL-5's I wouldn't turn my back. I'd be using them purely for autocross so I think the 9.5 ET28 square setup is for me.
I have one probably pretty stupid question, if I'm running these 18" rims as my track wheels and I run the 19" OEM as my daily's, am I going to have to adjust my KW Variant 3's every time I swap between the tires or would I be able to get the car setup for the Apex wheels and run the OEM's without much rubbing?
Excuse my ignorance but thanks in advance for any feedback.
Appreciate your interest. The 18x9.5" ET28 is a great candidate for a rotatable square fitment, and most customers will wrap them in 265/35-8 or 275/35-18 tires. You can absolutely get a "double duty" alignment which can be used for both your street and track set of wheels. Of course there is a trade off present whenever you are using the car for both, as within the track environment the car will benefit from more aggressive negative camber specs, while on the street the car would be best with a little less negative camber. As long you you keep your toe settings neutral (close to factory specs), your tires will wear just fine.

Many enthusiasts who do not have dedicated track/race cars choose an alignment setting to serve both, and how aggressive you choose to go is totally up to you and your priorities (how often you use the car for each use). I myself run -3 degrees up front on and off the track as an example, as I am willing to give up slightly more wear on the street in turn for better handling characteristics and tire wear on track. Some double duty enthusiasts with choose to hover closer to the -2.5 degree marker up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I'm running 18x10 ET25 square with 275/35/18 tires all around on stock suspension and it fits easily with -2.75 camber in the front. I even crammed a 285/30/18 Hoosier R6 on the same wheels with no rubbing at stock ride height. It did stick out past the fender since I had stock alignment at the time

I think a 18x10 ET28-ET30 would be pretty ideal for a square setup to run a 275 or 285 square tire. At stock power levels this is PLENTY of tire for the track.
Appreciate your feedback. We agree an 18x10" square fitment is another good way to go, however we chose to first release the 18x9.5" ET28 along with the 18x10.5" ET40 as it kills two fitments with one stone. The 18x9.5" ET28 can either be used in combination with the 18x10.5" ET40 for a bolt on staggered fitment, or by itself as a square fitment on all four corners of the car.

We also already offer our EC-7 design in an 18x10" ET33 which is a very good 10" square fitment for this car.

The M2 owners club is still relatively small, therefore it is difficult to offer a ton of fitment options without the proper demand behind each to warrant production. In due time, as the community expands and more owners are tracking the car or looking to swap out the stock 19" wheels, we may be able to release another 18x10" wheel with a slightly lower offset then the current ET33.

For now our current lineup in addition to the two new fitments proposed here should offer M2 enthusiasts with plenty of choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarodynamics View Post
I read this on GroupBuyParts and was really bummed to hear how far back this is getting pushed. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of people here would be willing to pay full price for these wheels and compromise on color and style to move the ship date forward.

Would you consider polling all of us to find out if we'd be open to voting for a single color and single style?

For example, I'd be fine paying full price if I could get these sooner. I'd take them in any of the colors and either style. I just want to get them in the staggered setup, but I imagine that part is easy for you since there are really only two different sizes anyways.

What do the rest of you think?
Thank you for your interest, and your feedback in regards to our Group Buy update. There were a few reasons this formatting change had to happen, from our production pipeline being a bit backed up, to a majority of our M2 customer base selecting the deeper discount tiers of the Group Buy (which required much more participation from the community then we received). Although the release date is pushed out as a result (which we agree is a bummer) it will ultimately better serve our customers by offering early adopters stellar discounts! I wont go into specifics in this thread, but please visit our commercial thread for more information.

We have already narrowed things down to the FL-5 design, and that decision was made based on the customer statistics that we received. Offering them in all three finish options is no problem for us, and narrowing the finish down to one would not accelerate production.

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 06-05-2017 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0