View Single Post
      04-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #10
Jimsbim
Private
Rep
Drives: 1988 E28 M5

I can't speak specifically to M mats, but I will share my experiences with cleaning mats. Years ago, I bought a 1990 325ix red on natural interior. The interior was in decent shape, but after a few decades of use, the entire carpet was stained here and there. I pulled the seats, center console and wrestled the entire carpet out. I used several auto and home carpet cleaning products, then scrubbed, brushed, hand messaged the stains. Ended up with lots of suds and cleaner residue so I started to hand rinse and blot it all out. Realized this was not giving the results I wanted, I decided what the heck and just hosed it off. It was a bright sunny and warm day; I hung the carpet over the railing on my deck. The sun dried it and it came out fantastic!

It occurred to me that automotive carpet is all synthetic (da), and designed to resist wet shoes, snow ice and salt (at least here in the Northeast.)

The point is - to clean mats I now use a quality cleaner like Griots (any cleaner you can find in your auto parts store should work), follow their directions and then use a light duty pressure washer or garden hose to rinse. Don't be afraid to thoroughly soak the entire mat. Do it on a warm clear day and hang them vertically facing the sun. They come out like new!

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0